Welcome to Chuckonia! Off and on, this is the online base for my random ramblings, tales of fatherhood, issue opinions, and commentary on the world in which I grew up and live. Hope you find something you like. Thanks for reading!

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Nothin' But the Music, Track 3

Last night, I enjoyed a fun, high-energy night of great music from the legendary Spinners in downtown Nashville. Wow! Those guys didn't miss a beat and reminded me with every song why they were such hitmakers during the greatest years of classic R&B. With two original members and three new additions keeping the music alive, they took the audience back and had us singing and dancing in the aisles. In tribute to such a fun night, allow me to share my favorite Spinners tunes.
"Could It Be I'm Falling In Love" - The Spinners were masters of high-tempo love songs, and this is no exception. Not quite as fast-paced as some, it still has a beat you may not slow-dance to, but you can feel its rhythm with every line. This song had special meaning for me years ago when I was young and in love and is still my favorite memory of the group. They opened last night's show with it, too.
"Then Came You" - This great song, which the Spinners did with Dionne Warwick, is a 70s staple about first love. In this clip, they give their 1974 hit an 80s flair. Gotta love it!
"Mighty Love" - The Spinners did two great songs about the "reality" of love. This is an upbeat take on the topic of pursuing true, mighty, love.
"Love Don't Love Nobody" - Here's the other great Spinners hit on the "reality" of love. A lot slower and more serious, Philippe put his heart and soul into his lead on this one. In her 1994 album "Just For You," Gladys Knight also included this song in her acclaimed "End of the Road Medley."
"One of A Kind (Love Affair)" - There are many songs that, to me, incite a natural and involuntary reflex to blast the car stereo volume, turn the steering wheel into my drum, and sing (poorly) at the top of my lungs. This is one such song. It has a great beat and good lyrics that talk about the power of love (before Huey Lewis did) whether it lasts or not.
"I'll Be Around" - One of the great breakup songs, this follows in the footsteps of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and would be the R&B equivalent to Ronnie Milsap's "I Wouldn't Have Missed It For The World." On the "Our Kind of Soul" album, Daryl Hall and John Oates did a smooth cover of it.
"Working My Way Back to You/Forgive Me Girl" - Love song or not, this falls under the fun song category to me. Though I enjoy both, I think the Spinners take on "Working My Way Back to You" surpasses that of the Four Seasons.
"Cupid/I've Loved You For A Long Time" - Another fun song, this one was made for a group like the Spinners and reminds me that there isn't another like them anymore. This clip is less-than-high quality, but it's recent and shows how much they still rock.
"Rubberband Man" - The ultimate fun song in the Spinners' collection, this has been used in numerous commercials, TV shows, and films. It is the song with which the guys closed their show, and left us wanting more, last night. Get down, my friends!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home