Welcome to Chuckonia! Off and on, this is the online base for my random ramblings, tales of fatherhood, issue opinions, and commentary on the world in which I grew up and live. Hope you find something you like. Thanks for reading!

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Where There's A Bill, There's A Way

As 2011 begins, I am reminded that a new day has truly dawned in Tennessee. In 2008, when most of America leaned further to the left and turned bluer by the vote, Tennessee developed a red glow and began paving the way for a "red storm" in 2010. Now, we're more Republican than ever. With two Senators and seven of nine U.S. Representatives carrying the Republican banner in Washington, Tennessee will be a state that projects strong conservatism to the federal government. In Nashville this week, we have introduced the Volunteer State to her new Republican Governor, a 20-Republican-strong Senate, and a 64-Republican-strong (nearly two-thirds) House of Representatives. The state will also continue to benefit from the leadership and service of a Republican Secretary of State, Treasurer, and Comptroller of the Treasury. I am excited.
Like any business, organization, family, or institution, Tennessee needed to revitalize itself. Through the care and action of the voters, we are experiencing that revitalization now. We have seen its fruits take shape this week, beginning with the opening of the General Assembly on Tuesday, featuring the election of the first female Speaker of a legislative chamber in Tennessee's history, and then with the Inauguration of Governor Bill Haslam earlier today (watch him take the oath and address the state here).
I realize that I did not write about Bill Haslam's candidacy for Governor after the August primary; nor did I write of his victory after November 2nd. For this I apologize and offer only the reason that I was politically worn out in general and chose not to write much on any campaign or candidate for a while. However, while my original loyalty in the gubernatorial primary was to my friend and candidate of choice, Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey, in no way did I shy away from supporting Knoxville's Mayor after his nomination. Mayor Haslam's combination of business and executive experience will be an unbeatable and invaluable combination in moving our state forward through the challenges ahead and out of the fog of the current recession. As a citizen and state employee, I look forward to watching him lead and, in what way I can, working with him through the years to come. Governor-Elect Haslam is a truly good man and a good example to leaders in many capacities. He is a good listener and, I believe, will learn from the legislative leadership as they begin their new term of service together.
Hold your breath; make a wish; count to three. The best is just up ahead for Tennessee.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home