Welcome to Chuckonia! Off and on, this is the online base for my random ramblings, tales of fatherhood, issue opinions, and commentary on the world in which I grew up and live. Hope you find something you like. Thanks for reading!

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Nothin' But the Music, Track 1

Last night, I watched "Behind the Music Remastered" on VH1 Classic. This time, they updated their depiction of the story of Daryl Hall and John Oates, the biggest-selling duo in pop music history. Like many great artists whom I now follow, I came to appreciate their work later in my life, and I am continually impressed and intrigued by their range as writers and their versatility as performers. From their work, I can find songs for any mood and from multiple genres. As solo performers, Daryl and John are amazing. As a duo, they are a musical force to be reckoned with. I had the privilege of seeing John Oates in Nashville recently, and he didn't fail to deliver style, depth, and showmanship. After a string of top-10s in the 1970s and 80s, Hall & Oates took a break from hit-making and eventually took a break from working together on a consistent basis through much of the 90s. However, in recent years, the Internet and a new generation of fans and devoted independent artists have given new life to some (slightly) old favorites. I'm glad that such a powerful pair as Hall & Oates are seeing new success, both as a duo and in their solo careers, because they really are two writers and performers who care more about their love of music than the success it brings. In honor of the dynamic duo of modern music, here's some of my favorites from their years in the business (this is certainly not "the" favorites list, I don't think I could honestly rank them). Enjoy!

"She's Gone" - Written by a depressed John Oates when he was stood up for a New Year's Eve date, it would become a very profitable lonely night for he and Daryl. This song became an anthem for breakups, heartbreaks, and depressed guys (sometimes including me) everywhere and has been included in several feature films over the years. From their second album, Abandoned Luncheonette, as well as 1977's No Goodbyes album (when the single hit #8 on the charts), the guys sing it in 1997 in this clip.
"Watch Your Back" - Throughout much of the 60s and 70s, it was almost a rule that every recording artist had to have some sort of protest or anti-war song (i.e. "Friendship Train" by Gladys Knight & the Pips, "War" by Edwin Starr, etc.). This sort of serves as the Hall & Oates entry in that set. From the album War Babies.
"Rich Girl" - Originally written about a stuck-up man, "Rich Guy" didn't quite have the right ring to it, so it became "Rich Girl" and gave Hall & Oates their first #1 hit. This is one of many songs that sets off an automatic instinct in me to turn the car radio volume up incredibly high and sing along, regardless of what else I am doing (I knew I had that wreck for a reason). From the Bigger Than Both of Us album, the linked performance is from the classic "Midnight Special" television show of the 1970s.
"Head Above Water" - I think it's a shame that this song didn't/doesn't get more exposure. It has become my favorite piece from the Private Eyes album. To me, it speaks to anyone on the rise in life (or anyone who wants to be) or just anyone who's trying to keep their... you guessed it - head above water.
"Possession Obsession" - Some say this is one of the quintessential songs about the 80s as "the decade of excess." Maybe. But I say it's just a really cool 80s pop song and a great (rare) showing of John Oates' lead-singing talent. From the album Big Bam Boom, here it is in a concert clip from Tokyo in 1988.
"Change of Season" - This song has a lot of depth. I think of it as a song about looking for the best in yourself and your life, but it very much falls into the "open to interpretation" category. Check it out and see what it says to you. The linked clip is from another show in Tokyo and the song comes from the album called (get this) Change of Season.

This is but a mere sampling of the amazing repertoire of Hall & Oates. If you're not familiar with their work (loser) or want to see what else they have to offer beyond the standard hits, check out their recently-released 4-disc career-spanning collection Do What You Want, Be What You Are. It's awesome. Keep on rocking, Chuckonia!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home