Welcome to Chuckonia! Off and on, this is the online base for my random ramblings, tales of fatherhood, issue opinions, and commentary on the world in which I grew up and live. Hope you find something you like. Thanks for reading!

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Moments - Chapter 10: Sit, Ubu, Sit. Good Daddy.

                It is a sweet honor when my son gives me a compliment or offers a touch of affirmation.  Joey likes it too.  We all do.  It reminds us both of the rarity and power of our bond as father and son.  However, sometimes, he creates one of those combined “aww” and “haha” moments when he does it (see Chapter 9).  Last Thursday morning, when I dropped him off at the home of his babysitter, he did just that.  Since he wasn’t wearing shoes, I picked him up and held him after we got out of the car.  I walked to Monica’s front door and rang the doorbell.  Instantly, we heard the family dog (Opie) barking inside.  Within the several seconds that we stood there waiting for Monica to answer the door, Joey and I had a profound exchange.  He heard the barking, looked at me, and smiled, saying, “I hear Opie.  He’s a good dog.”  To which I replied, “That’s right.  He’s a good dog like Buddy [my girlfriend’s dog], isn’t he?”  Joey’s smile got bigger, and he got a little twinkle in his eye before he responded.  “Uh huh.  Buddy’s a good dog, too,” he replied.  But, with a little pat on my chest, he finished with, “And Daddy is too.”  Haha!  I’m glad that Joey thinks one of his parents is a good dog.
http://youtu.be/rJtxPhFyIoI

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home